Sunday, March 7, 2010

Response to "Significant or Irrelevant?"

Response #6

In Jillian’s blog, she talks about Clive Bell’s opinion of real art and how symbolism and matter are of unimportance to the overall piece of work. I agree with Jillian. Viewing art as just colors and lines takes away from the purpose of creating art work. To me, that purpose is to express emotion and communicate with the observers. Art is about taking something ordinary in nature and making it your own. Art is about showing the world what a simple idea or object in life means to the artist. Of course the aesthetics are part of the overall presentation of the piece but meaning does matter a great deal. Like Jillian points out, not all art is full of symbolism and great meaning but that doesn’t mean the art that does present something deeper should be ignored.

Then Jillian talks about art created in class or for an assignment. She asks, “Do you think that artwork created for an art class or as an assignment should still be considered art?” This is a difficult question and I think everyone’s responses will vary. I have created many pieces throughout grade school, middle school, and high school. However, very few of those pieces are something I can be proud of. Although, depending on the assignment, some effort was put forth. Two of my pieces were displayed in art competitions, once in sixth grade and once in eleventh. This does not make me an artist but I do think I did create art since it was valued by others. To answer this question, art must be defined but I do not know the definition just yet. After thinking about the question, I guess I would have to say works created for an art class should be considered art because the student or artist had a purpose, a goal, and did create something malleable. Maybe there was a lack of effort in some pieces, but overall, creating art for a grade should not be ignored because sometimes great creations come out of it.

My question to you is: Do you consider yourself an artist? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment