Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Favorite Artist.

At the beginning of this course, I had no idea who my favorite artist was or if I even had one. I did not really know how to define art and I had too little experience with art to choose a favorite just yet. After blogging, discussing philosopher's views of what is art, searching artworks online, visiting museums, and so on, I can finally say I have a couple of favorite artists. I think having more than one favorite artist is justified because there are so many different forms of art. My favorite painter is Leonid Afremov.

I found his works while looking for a painting to add to my blog and I fell in love with them. His usage of colors is inspiring and pleasing. He is a very optimistic artist, which is what I love most about him. I consider his art to be my favorite because it's beautiful but also conveys certain emotions and messages in each piece. Plus, I love the subject material he decides to paint: Autumn, nature, flowers, rainy days, dancers, and so on. It's all just beautiful. Enough said.

I also love The Beatles. They are my all time favorite band. I don't think I need any explanation for this one. They are just amazing. :)

My question to you is: Who is your favorite artist and why do you consider him or her as such?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing today. My favorite artist is Michel Petrucciani, one of the most lyrical, sensitive, creative, technically amazing jazz pianists ever to live. (He died in 1999 at the tragically young age of 34 from complications stemming from his lifelong struggles with "glass bones" disease.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Skyla - I happened randomly upon your blog today while working (I work for a search engine and happen upon all sorts of random sites every day), and was struck by the painting in this post - I love it! I saw your thing about the Beatles too, they were the only thing I listened to when I was a kid and I still love them.

    My favorite artist is a musician, Pat Metheny. His music satisfies me more than any other, and I can listen to it year after year and it remains satisfying - always new things to hear, it has a lot of depth. Also, I really admire that he keeps growing year after year and really retains his integrity as an artist. There are many pieces by him I love, but just as a starting place, perhaps check out the first couple of tracks on Offramp, at Rhapsody or some such.

    There is also a painter I like, for much the same reasons, though I don't know his work as well as I know Metheny's. Michael Newberry is his name. I own a couple of his works and I love the color and movement and beauty of them ... in person they're very moving, though I'm sure you can see a lot online as well.

    Thanks for blogging, hope you blog some more!

    ReplyDelete