Sunday, February 28, 2010

Daydreaming.

Sigmund Freud believes dreams and fantasies reveal the deep truths about human nature. According to him, dreams must be understood as unfulfilled wishes. For example, a person may not voice their thoughts about punching another human being in the face but dreaming about it satisfies this desire without having to make it a reality. This applies to art because, in order to express unconscious thoughts, artists show their deep feelings in their works. In these works is displayed their unrealized desires.

Freud believes those that are not satisfied with their lives daydream. However, can anyone ever be completely satisfied with the way life is? A person could be utterly happy but still daydream about those that aren't as fortunate and who go to bed hungry. I feel like one of the reasons we enjoy and appreciate art is because it may satisfy a dream or thought we have. We look at art because it may be unfamiliar to us and satisfy an inner feeling. In my life, I may daydream about being on a beach and a poem or a picture may help satisfy my desire our at least appeal to my sense of sight. Does this mean I'm unsatisfied with my life? Also, art is the desires of other people so why are they so greatly valued by the viewers?

I think daydreaming is satisfying. Sometimes what I daydream are not actual events I want to take place or places I want to go. My mind wanders and thinks about many of the other choices I could have made in life. For instance, I may think about what would have happened if I did not attend MCLA. I would have different friends, different classes, and a different life. However, I would never want to leave MCLA. It is just interesting to think about. However, the book states, "Happy people never make fantasies; only unsatisfied ones."

My question to you is: Do you agree with the idea that all daydreamers are dissatisfied with their lives and do you want all of your daydreams to become a reality? Why or why not?

1 comment: