Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mother Nature.

We have talked in class about nature and if it is truly art. The argument is that nature is not man-made and no one intended it to be viewed artistically so it can't exactly be art. However, as the observer, I see nature as art and Mother Nature as the artist. My stance, currently, is that nature is the highest esteem of all art. After all, any attempt at creating a piece of work is in response to a reaction to nature. All artists observe nature and the universe to try to present it to the observer in their own unique way. All art is imitation of nature.

No matter how hard an artist tries, nature can never fully be captured. Therefor, I think Mother Nature is the greatest artist of all. Sure, a tree wasn't just created to look nice or be seen as some sort of metaphor. It was created to give oxygen to living organisms and other practical purposes. But a tree is still beautiful. My eyes capture it as a work of art, so it is art to me. I understand that nature isn't permanent, but is a painting of nature any more so? Nothing lasts for ever. I think seeing nature is much more artistic and beautiful than seeing a picture of it. The entire world is an easel, mother nature holds the paintbrush, and we are the anxious spectators waiting to see what she has in store for us next.

My question to you is: What aspect of nature (whether it be a tree, flowers, the sky) do you find most appealing to view as a piece of art work and why?

3 comments: