Saturday, February 13, 2010

Response to "Emotions."

Response #3

In Shawna Towers' blog, she talks about how artwork expresses emotions and how different people can interpret those emotions in varying ways. Sometimes the emotions the artist was feeling when making the piece is not what the observer feels. She asks the question, "Have you ever looked at something and you thought it carried one particular emotion, but then when you go back and look at it you realize something different about it?

I think art is greatly about expressing the emotions of the artist. Art is about delaying a message to the viewer and getting him or her to feel what the creator feels. However, no matter what the artist intendeds the viewer to feel, it always varies. I think how we feel when looking at a piece determines what we think of the piece at that moment. For instance, when looking at a painting of the ocean, I may see sadness or depression if that is how I feel. Then, another time I look at the piece, I may see joy and happiness if I am in a more positive mood. I think we see what we want to see. When it comes to details of a piece, we notice different aspects each time we see a piece of work. For example, when I watch a movie for the first time, I miss out on the small jokes or the people in the background because I am so focused on the main subject matter. Once I look at it again, I search for other parts I may have missed. We learn something new about a piece of art every time we see it. This goes for all types of art, whether it be a movie, a picture, a painting, and even people. We are always learning and observing.

My question to you is: What types of emotions do you usually look for and enjoy the most in a piece of art?

No comments:

Post a Comment