Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Artworld.

I have referred many times in my posts to this so-called artworld but what is it actually? Dickie sees the artworld as a social institution which is open to anyone who wants to be a part of it. It incorporates the practices of artists, gallery owners, critics, art historians, philosophers of art, and anyone who observes and appreciates the artistic works of others. Dickie's definition allows anyone to be part of the artworld which I think is a valid point because artists as well as the observers are both equally necessary and crucial for art to be an important aspect of our society.

Art reveals what is not always seen. Art, in my opinion, is an artist's interpretation of the world around them. In order for the artist's message to actually be worth delaying, the observers need to be willing and ready to receive it. I feel as though people are less appreciative of art because of how technology has made it so available. It doesn't seem as valuable and the attraction to actually viewing the original works in museums is falling fast. Art just doesn't seem as rare as it once was and the line between was is actual art is greatly being skewed. Take Mass Moca for example, many people question if the "art" the museum contains is actually worth seeing. People who are part of the artworld are becoming slimmer by the day. How can this be changed? What must be done to get more people interested in art? Because it is all around us and so easy to view, does this make art less important? I am starting to think so. Art is necessary to have a functioning society because people need to express themselves and get their message across. Art allows this to happen. Without art, we would be lost.

My question to you is: Do you consider yourself to be part of the artworld? Why or why not? What characteristics must a person posses in order to be considered part of the artworld?

M.C. Escher. A print of this painting has been in my house ever since I was a little girl and I have never actually looked at it. After coming across it and realizing how familiar it was, I actually took the time to see it as a work of art. It's really quite interesting so I thought I'd add it to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment