Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Response to "Knowledge vs. Emotion."

Response #17

In Jenna Haley's blog, she talks about how everyone is capable of making valid judgments of art since there really are no qualifications needed to have an opinion. Danto believes, in order to fully understand and appreciate art, the observer must have knowledge of the history and the reasoning behind the piece of work. This way, the observer's place in the artworld is more distinguishable and valued. In interpreted the text as saying that Danto believes the observer's opinions and critiques are more valid when he or she has an abundance of knowledge about the piece at hand. Jenna confers that he may think those who do not have the knowledge and understanding of the artist's thoughts do not get to enjoy the piece fully. She states, "I think the meaning of art is to let the audience decide for themselves what the art work means or represents," and I couldn't agree more. Her question is, "Do you think it is better to possess knowledge about a work of art or to interpret it in a personal way?"

I certainly think personal interpretation of art is much more important. Knowledge is never negative to posses but, like Jenna says, it could alter a person's original interpretation and thoughts on a piece but this can be good. I really like Jenna's example of how a person could view a piece as moving and meaningful to him or her personally but when he or she finds out the meaning and purpose of the artist is something completely different, feelings for the piece will change. I think music is a perfect example in this case. We all listen to music, everyday, but sometimes we don't know all of the lyrics being said. Maybe we just like the rhythm or the chorus. Maybe the song has meaning to us... until we find out what the actual words are. This happens to me a lot. I will love and enjoy a song but way not know all of the words being said. When I go to look up the lyrics and the meaning of the song, I may realize they weren't what I thought and I can't relate to the song as much. I will lose interest in the song. So, maybe never knowing the true lyrics is a good thing, in some instances. I value education and learning but, to me, a person's personal take on art is more important. Knowledge really isn't always a requirement to understand the world, especially the artworld.

My question to you is: Do you find that knowing the background, purpose, and history behind a work of art increases or decreases your interest, attraction, and feelings for it?

Robert Duval

No comments:

Post a Comment