Saturday, April 17, 2010

Self-Expression.

The definition of self-expression is, "Expression of one's own personality, feelings, or ideas, as through speech or art." I think self-expression is extremely important because people should be able to state what they want how they want. Everyone needs to let their feelings out and have their voice be heard in a healthy manner. Keeping opinions and feelings to oneself only causes more problems and self-destruction. Everyone has the right to show who they are through how they present themselves and the art they create. So, are tattoos, body piercings, and dying hair a way to express yourself? Is it art?

I have two tattoos, my ears pierced, and a purple streak in my hair. I use to think my body was created the way it was and I should not alter it. I'm still quite against plastic surgery, tanning, fake nails, and other artificial ways to alter what a person looks like but I see nothing wrong with expressing who you are through tattoos and piercings. Your body is all yours to do what you want with it and expressing who you are through what you wear and such is important because everyone is unique and everyone has the right to show the world who they are however they want. I know many people that would never get something prominently inked on their bodies and sometimes I can't believe I have two tattoos that will never go away but not they are a part of who I am. They express me. I think they are art because they are intended to be seen by people and communicate a message of who I am. The withering dandelion that turns into birds flying on my shoulder blades expresses the message of how dreams and wishes can come true. The word "peace" on my ankle speaks for itself; I stand for peace. I do not regret my tattoos because I see them as works of art that have become part of who I am. What do you think?

My question to you is: Do you think the body is a blank canvass for self-expression or should people respect their natural selves and leave expression to painting, writing, sculpting and other forms of creating tangible art objects?

My first tattoo.

3 comments: